Saturday, September 23, 2017

Our History

   Minimize

The church was organized on December 13, 1923 as the Calvary Community Church. Officers were members of the Denison, Burnham, Robbins, McGill, Davis, Bennett, Greene, Guilford, and Kneeland families.

The church was formerly known as the First Baptist Church and was constructed in 1871 at a cost of $5,715 dollars. It was designed by Rev. G. W. Howe, Franklin Walker, and S.H. Dawes. Dawes and Walker were commissioned by the Trustees to construct the edifice.

The church affiliated with the Maine Congregational Christian Conference in the 1960’s and also affiliated with the Oxford-Union Association of churches. The North Bridgton Congregational Church and Calvary Community Church were yoked together in 1973 to form the United Parish. In 2003 the two congregations combined into one governing body with two churches.

The United Parish is currently a member of the United Church of Christ. In July 2006 the North Bridgton Congregational Church was sold to Bridgton Academy and the congregation voted to change the name to its current name to better reflect the community we serve.

Copyright 2010-2017 by United Parish UCC